If you’re thinking of creating your own blog, but don’t quite know where to start, you’re in the right place. We’ll explain everything you need to know about the ideal procedure for creating a successful blog. And, if you are still not completely convinced and have some doubts, in this other article, we’ll tell you why creating a blog is an excellent idea.
Before creating a blog, you should consider certain aspects that will help you choose the path that best suits your needs. The first is to define the objective of your blog, what you want to achieve with it. The second is to decide who it will be aimed at, that is, your target audience. Once you have defined the why and how of your blog, you can start the creation process.
The following guide can be applied to create any type of blog. It doesn’t matter if your goal is to create a blog for commercial purposes or if it’s just hobby-related, this article will help you with the most important decisions you’ll have to make during the process.
Depending on the purpose of your blog, you can choose if you prefer a free or a paid blog. In essence, they are similar, but the difference lies in the level of professionalism and the amount of money you’re willing to invest.
These platforms are basically intended as a place on the Internet where you can write. They are ideal for those who are just looking for a space to share stories, or for those who are starting their own virtual community. They are free because they host your website on their own server infrastructure. This means that you won’t have your own domain name, but will be linked directly to the platform. Although there is the possibility to use your own domain name, you’ll have to buy it on your own.
You can identify a free blog when the URL is something like this: “yourweb.wordpress.com” or “yourweb.blogger.com.” This could generally detract from the credibility of your blog, especially if you want a more professional-looking site. This could be, however, an excellent starting option, especially if you don’t have experience in the subject yet or if you only want a simple website. The most popular platforms for creating free blogs are: WordPress.com, Blogger and Wix.
The main advantage is that you will not have to invest money in its creation and/or operation. In addition, creating it will be a very easy task. The platforms are quite friendly and take care of almost everything, leaving you in charge of writing and creating content. As for the disadvantages, free blogs can be very limited in their functionality, are less secure and are more likely to be blocked or removed if there is a problem with your content. It is also important to note that your website will most likely have ads from which you would not profit. Ads are part of the tools that hosting platforms use to pay for your website.
Now, a quick tip: it is possible to create a blog with free hosting and then migrate it to a paid one by exporting your data. This can be done on various platforms, such as WordPress.com, for example.
This type of blog is the ideal option for creating a professional website, since it allows you more control. It allows you to create advertisements, have your own domain name and eliminate unwanted advertising, among other useful things. To create a site with these characteristics, it’s necessary to find web hosting to keep your blog online. There are many options for buying hosting, but we do not recommend accessing the cheapest options, because that could put your website’s functions at risk. In general, the prices for a hosting service range between 5 and 50 USD per month.
The function of the hosting services is to provide a system to host your website on the Internet, allowing you to upload content. Currently, most hosting providers offer packages with a variety of additional services, such as email hosting or domain name registration. Once your domain name is registered, your blog can be called “yourweb.com” instead of “yourweb.wordpress.com,” for example.
To create the blog, we recommend you try WordPress, which is one of the most recognized content management systems worldwide, allowing you to create excellent quality blogs. And to host it on the web, we suggest you try Webempresa and GoDaddy hosting.
The only disadvantage is the investment of time and money, approximately 40 to 80 dollars a year for quality hosting. There are cheaper options that offer shared hosting services—think of it like sharing a room—but, generally, the customer service is not optimal. One of these options is Dreamhost, with low prices of 3 USD per month. The main advantage of a paid blog, however, is that you’ll have more tools to personalize your blog and get more out of it.
Before we start, let’s explain the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org: the former is a free hosting platform (referenced in the “free blogs” section) that allows you to easily create your website directly in the cloud. The second is the website of the (also free) software used by the hosting services (including WordPress.com). Here, the decision lies in the goals you want to achieve with your blog. The recommendation, however, will always be to use WordPress directly with your hosting, as exemplified below.
1. Register a Domain Name. The domain is the web address that people will type to access your blog. You can choose the one you want, although we recommend something familiar or related to your brand. The simpler, the better. This way, you will have more of a chance that people will remember the name of your website.
The platforms for registering a domain offer several options for top-level domains and, although “.com” is usually the most popular, it’s likely that your first choice of name will be already taken. The price range is between 8 and 14 USD per year, and you have to be very attentive to the renewal date, because you can lose your domain if you forget to renew it on time.
The easiest way to buy a domain is through the hosting platforms that also offer registration service. One of the most recommended and economical platforms to buy your domain is Namecheap. Eventually, you will be able to transfer that domain when you find hosting.
2. Find Hosting. The next step is to find the hosting for your blog. Here, we recommend Webempresa, which has different plans to choose from. These charges are usually annual and require renewal so you don’t lose your hosting.
Keep in mind that, if your hosting service doesn’t provide domain registration and you bought it elsewhere, you will probably need to set up the domain correctly with your hosting provider. This process can be easily done by following the instructions provided by your hosting provider.
A quick tip that can save you future headaches: check out the security options provided by your hosting service, such as SLL certification. This will increase the security of your blog.
3. Redirect the DNS. This step is important to link your hosting and domain. If you bought the domain at Namecheap (domain), you will have to log in to your account, go to the control tab of your domain and modify the DNS that Webempresa (hosting) has sent to your mail. If you bought a plan that includes domain and hosting provided by the same platform, however, this step will not be necessary.
4. Install WordPress. You don’t need to do much here. Usually, this process is done simultaneously with the hosting registration. It’ll only be necessary if your hosting provider doesn’t do it on their own.
The most technical and difficult part of the process is finished. Now we can start with the most fun part: the customization of the blog content. This is where you can work on the design of your blog to make it as beautiful as you imagine it can be.
5. Choose a Template! WordPress offers a wide variety of free templates, so you can choose the one that you like best and that fits your blog. Note that many of the free templates may not be updated in the same way the paid ones are (yes, it is also possible to buy templates). In fact, if your blog requires some professionalism, buying a template can be a good investment.
6. Modify the Appearance. You can take all the time you need to make your blog look just the way you imagine it. You can change the overall look, choose the colors, and arrange the text and images to your liking. Explore the options available until you find a design that suits you. If you don’t know anything about WordPress yet, don’t worry. It just takes a little practice to master it, and you don’t need to know about programming; you can see all the changes you make live while you design.
7. Configure the Links. Here, you should check that search engines are indexing your blog correctly so that people can find it. If you see that the box called “discourage search engines” is checked, remove the check and save the changes. Then, you will have to modify the link names for each of the articles. The most recommended option, in this case, is that the name of the publication appears and not a random number.
For example, if your blog is called “Your Website” and the article you created is entitled “Home Article,” the link should look something like this: www.tusitioweb.com/articulo-sobre-el-hogar. This will make your blog easier to find for search engines, as it is a part of the famous web positioning or SEO.
8. Configure the Plugins. Plugins are small “programs” that can be installed on your blog to add features, such as creating contact forms, calendars, advertising and more. By default, WordPress comes with several plugins installed that you can also modify. The following are some of the plugins we recommend installing:
9. Write and Publish! Now you can let your imagination and creativity take over your blog entries. We also recommend that you include photographs, images or graphics (citing the source if you didn’t author them) to give dynamism to the reading. Another excellent option to make your blog more entertaining and, at the same time, improve its web positioning, is to add videos or some kind of audiovisual content.
This is the Internet and, yes, you’ll find too many options to create your blog. Our recommendation, when in doubt, is to investigate the different alternatives. No one is born knowing everything, right? So it’s worth taking the time to acquire the knowledge and carry out your blog project with ease.
At this point, we’ll recommend a number of website creators who would help you not only to create a blog, but also to create e-commerce (online stores), and many more professional websites.
Some of these platforms for creating websites are:
Now that you know the basics, it’s time to get started! Surely, many people around the world will be willing to read your blog and learn your stories. Who knows? Maybe your blog will start trending and you’ll end up providing excellent quality content. You could even become an advertising expert, earning extra money without leaving your home.
If you want to know more about our content, you can subscribe to our newsletter at the bottom.